DevOps Culture Explanations
Since its creation, DevOps culture has continued to progress and evolve. The alliance of development and system operations is particularly popular and effective. But you still have to know how to integrate and use it within teams.
In 2022, 75% of DevOps initiatives are expected to fail due to problems related to implementation and organizational learning. It is therefore essential to understand how it works to optimize success rates, so let’s take a detailed look at the philosophy and advantages of DevOps.
A strong organizational culture
DevOps culture is based on essential relationships: collaboration and communication. For this approach to generate the expected benefits, it’s important to take some major guiding principles into account.
The human factor
The human approach is fundamental to DevOps culture. This is the first parameter to remember, and here are our tips for implementing it:
- Form multidisciplinary teams united around common goals.
- Promote professional autonomy and encourage continuous learning.
- Create communities of sharing to facilitate dialogue and collaboration.
- Introduce transformational leadership. Prioritize going beyond your interests to advance those of the group.
As for the work processes, it’s necessary to implement specific techniques and practices. This is the second point to keep in mind, and here is what you can do:
- Work by small batches.
- Provide visibility and measure the work of the DevOps teams through the value chain.
- Encourage the operations teams to provide production measurements to create new ideas.
- Implement a continuous delivery pipeline.
- Introduce infrastructure as code to better develop and test the embedded code.
- Prioritize delivery on demand.
- Establish a security and feedback practice as a baseline for development and infrastructure.
The third factor, and not the least: DevOps tools. To develop software and new features efficiently, you have every interest in relying on these tools. And since there is no unique, magic solution, here are our recommendations:
- Implement a toolchain tailored to your needs.
- Standardize the use of the tools to increase productivity.
- Integrate the tools into the automated delivery pipelines.
- Offer a self-serve infrastructure platform for the clients.
- Introduce deployment strategies in production without service interruptions.
The advantages of DevOps culture
If you can apply these crucial principles of DevOps culture, your projects will certainly have a better chance of success and viability. You will enjoy a series of benefits that will contribute to your success and the satisfaction of your clients!
- + 200% workflows and deployment.
- + 24% error resolution.
- – 50% time devoted to security issues.
- – 22% unexpected events and better use of resources.
- Better control of the infrastructure.
- Increased automation.
- Better visibility of the entire project and its systems.
It should be noted that, by combining all the aforementioned factors, you will be able to achieve the desired results. It’s important to take all of them into account to optimize the DevOps approach and make your working method profitable.
If you’re interested in DevOps culture and want to integrate it into your company, you should know that Gologic offers technical training workshops and other specialized DevOps services. Contact us, and we will make every effort to provide you with the best advice possible.